There are many shotgun scopes available on the market. Each has its own features and uses. With this reason, it’s quite hard to choose the best one for you. In this article, you will learn the different types of shotgun scopes, the best shotgun scopes to buy, and why you need one. But first, you need to know what it is.
A shotgun scope is a visual enhancement device that you can place to your shotgun. Therefore it is just like a rifle scope. While most people prefer to use iron sights, these have proven that they are a better alternative to the previous visual enhancement material.
Top 4 Best Shotgun Scopes To Buy
Now that you know the basics about shotgun sights, it’s time to discuss the best-scoped shotguns available today.
Leupold VX-1 2-7x33mm Compact Waterproof Fogproof Riflescope
Ready to perform in all conditions, this compact Leupold VX-1 Riflescope is waterproof and fog proof. Not only can you see your target in every condition, but you can sight in faster with the help of the large eyebox and edge to edge brightness with this scope.
It has a 3:1 zoom ratio and a 1/4 MOA that lets you adjust for wind and elevation with a click of your finger. That way, you can keep your eye on your target with the four lens multi-coat clarity system. And the Argon/Krypton gas blend keeps this scope shock-resistant.
The Leupold scope itself is made of aircraft-quality aluminum, so it’s not only light, it’s durable too. And it comes with a lens cover for protection.
Leopold offers a lifetime warranty, and Amazon users love this scope, rating it an astounding 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Simmons ProHunter ProDiamond Reticle
Simmons ProHunter gives the brightest and clearest images for a mere scoped shotgun.
This scope offers the perfect combination of high-quality multi-coated reticle system and rugged consistency.
The purpose of this device is to give what a pro hunter needs.
Features include elevation adjustment system, TrueZero windage, and a QTA eyepiece.
If you are searching for a multi-purpose scope, then this is for you.
Rated 4.6 out of 5 stars from over 42 customers. Click the image for prices and reviews!
Bushnell Trophy Riflescopes – 1.75-4×32
This Trophy Riflescope from Bushnell features a Circle-X reticle that precisely frames the crosshair within a circle so you can zero in on your target with ease. It also had several layers of the anti-reflective coat so your images are clear and bright.
In fact, the multi-coated glass plus the rain guard gives you 91 percent light transmission no matter the weather.
The O-ring seals the scope perfectly, so you can be confident your scope will stay dry, even if it’s completely under water. And, like the Leopold, the fast-focus eyepiece with 1/4 MOA wind and elevation adjuster, allows you to keep your eye on your prize.
The Trophy Riflescope is also fog proof, shockproof, and comes with a lifetime warranty from Bushnell. Amazon users were impressed by this scope, giving it 4.1 out of 5 stars.
Nikon Prostaff P3 Shotgun 3-9×40 BDC 200
This lightweight aircraft-grade aluminum Nikon Prostaff scope is perfect for long range — extending your sight out to 200 yards and beyond. It also had the 1/4 MOA hand turn adjustment feature for wind and elevation, but this one you can not only feel, but you can also hear it. That allows you to keep your focus where it needs to be: your target.
The zero-reset turrets are conveniently spring-loaded, so after you make adjustments, they automatically reset to zero after sighting in. And the quick focus eyepiece helps you zero in on your target without straining your eye.
The Nikon sight optical system, like some of the others, is fully coated multiple times to produce bright and clear pictures. It accomplishes this by optimizing the light through the entire surface of the glass.
Nikon offers a lifetime repair and replacement warranty. And Amazon customers were more than impressed by this scope, giving it an amazing full 5 stars.
Which Scope is the Best?
These are the most popular brands of scoped shotguns. They all offer high-quality optical systems and easy-to-use field adjustments. It all comes down to the price. The Nikon ProStaff Shotgun Hunter 2-7 x 32 Black Matte Riflescope costs around $160 on Amazon. This is perfect for those who want to get the best quality scope but doesn’t have a huge budget. The Bushnell Trophy XLT Circle-X Reticle costs about $110.
Image: Daily Shooting
It is also a good choice, especially if you are on a tight budget or a beginner. The Leupold VX-1 2-7x33mm shotgun scope is around $250. It is the most expensive among the four scopes. Thus, you’re guaranteed that the scope is in it’s the best quality. But the cheapest among all is the Simmons ProHunter ProDiamond Reticle. With just $80, you can get this dependable visual enhancement device.
Types of Scoped Shotguns
There are different shotgun sights you can buy. Each has its own purposes. Some of the most common scopes for shotguns are the following:
- Fixed Scope—This scope is as fine as the variable sight or even better. They are more durable, more compact, but less expensive. But there is a catch for this scope type. Since it is a fixed scope, you cannot adjust it anymore the moment you mounted it on a shotgun.
- Variable Scope—Variable scope is the most popular type these days. You can find this type everywhere. The great thing about this scope is you can use it for different hunting purposes and different ranges. It even has a dual purpose shotgun. Whether you are hunting a deer or a bird, then this one is for you.
- Holographic Scope—It is a hi-tech type of shotgun sight. As the name suggests, this scope uses holographic to see your target clearly. But you need to put batteries to activate this feature.
- Reflex Sight—This type is a better option when it comes to price and durability.
- Red Dot—Technically speaking, red dots are not scopes. They don’t have magnification features that other scopes have. But they are more relevant compared to other types. If you’re not a scope person, but you want to shoot the target directly, then this one is for you. Red dot gives excellent vision and removes eye relief out of the picture. Furthermore, this type is perfect for any type of weather and lighting conditions.
Advantages of Using a Scope for Shotgun
There are many reasons why you need to use such scopes. Some of the reasons are as follows:
- Magnification benefits. Shotgun scopes work just like a magnifying glass—it makes the target look bigger. With this device, you can shoot it where you want it to shoot. Hence, you will have a cleaner, humane kill.
- No sight alignment. Since you attached it with the shotgun, you don’t need to adjust it and align your shot. You just have to shoot and you’re done.
- Reduced eye strain. Shooting an animal away from you is hard, especially if you have an eye problem. With the use of this device, you can shoot anything, no matter how far it is. This device is also ideal for those who don’t have a 20/20 vision or even elders as well.
- Better lighting. If you are hunting in the middle of the night or in dark places, lighting is a big issue since you can’t see the things around you. Fortunately, there are modern scopes available on the market. With this hi-tech scope, you can see your target and your environment, regardless of how dark the area is.
- Canting dilemma. Most rookies have problems in maintaining the aiming point, especially if the target is on the move. But if you use a scope, canting will become a problem of the past. You just need to adjust the crosshairs and keep them level.
How to Choose the Best Shotgun Sights
Buying a scoped shotgun isn’t like buying food on the market wherein you just get what you want to eat. There are several things you need to consider when choosing the best shotgun scopes for deer or bird hunting. If you want to get the best scope for your firearm, you have to follow these rules:
- Know your ability. You need to choose a scope that suits your skills. Choose a scope that lets you shoot the target easily. If you want to focus on shooting, select a scope that is easy to use.
- Know your target. Not all shotgun sights are alike regardless of their purposes. There are shotgun scopes for deer hunting and scopes for bird hunting. Choose a scope that will help you trigger your target easily.
- Know your needs. You already know that there are different types of scoped firearms. Each scope has its own use. Hence, it will become easier for you to choose the best scope for shotgun. When buying a scope device, you need to consider your visual needs. If you’re not used to scopes, you can use the red dot sight. If you like to hunt at night, you can use the holographic ones. But if you have a vision problem, you can use a scope that will help you improve your vision.
- Know your budget. There’s no doubt that scopes are quite expensive. Still, there are scopes that are less expensive than the others. When buying a visual enhancement device, you need to get a shotgun scope that suits your budget. But you still need to make sure that the scope is durable. It’s a waste of money and time if you bought a cheap scope that is easy to break and it cannot give what you need.
- Know the features of the scope. You need to know the scope’s feature. Know the distance range it can see. You also need to know the uses of each feature and how it will help you shoot your target.
- Read shotgun scope reviews. Due to the widely used of the internet, it is impossible not to find any review about a certain product. Most consumers post their reviews on the internet to help other shoppers choose the right item for their needs. If you want to buy a scope, make sure that you read these reviews first so you can have an idea of what you should expect from the scope.
So these are the things you need to do when buying a scoped shotgun. But before you buy this equipment, you also need to know the laws ruling your area. There are states and countries that forbid us to own a shotgun and its equipment. If you don’t want to go to jail, you need to know if it’s okay to own a shotgun and do the hunting.
Where Can You Buy These Scopes?
There are several stores that sell scoped shotguns. You can buy them in the stores near you or you can buy them online. If you are planning to buy it in a gun store, make sure that it has a license to sell guns and gun equipment. Getting them from a licensed store gives you an assurance that you’ve come to a right place. Furthermore, you are rest assured that they are not selling smuggled goods.
But if you are planning to buy it online, make sure that you get it from a reliable online store. Choose Amazon as they are the most reliable online store that sells any product. Furthermore, you can get them at an affordable price, with free shipping delivery.
Image: Best Gun Scope
A shotgun sight is a perfect device for hunting. It lets you shoot the target directly no matter how far it is. With this device, hunting becomes way easier than before. You don’t have to shoot and miss since you can see the target clearly. Furthermore, you can kill the animal in the most humane way. Most of all, you can protect your vision since you don’t have to strain your eyes, especially if you are hunting in the dark.
When choosing a scope for your firearm, you need to consider the reliability and the price. Also, don’t forget your skills. There are scopes intended for professional hunters and there are also scopes for beginners. Choose a shotgun sight that suits your ability.
Finally, you need to buy them from a reliable store. Since selling and using shotguns and other fire devices are illegal in some areas, you need to make sure that you are not breaking the law.