If you’re a hunter and you wish to shoot precisely and accurately like a marksman or a sniper is supposed to, then it’s about time you paid attention to red dots for AR 15 (also known as AR-15 or AR15) rifles. Red dot sights unambiguously showcases where you’re supposed to shoot with little discrepancy MOA-wise until you reach a certain distance, by which case you can adjust for air resistance and gravity (windage and elevation adjustments).
So what’s the best best red dot for ar15? Now isn’t that the million dollar question? Red dots on your crosshairs or reticles serve as a visual aid when you’re shooting, thusly improving your accuracy while at the same time removing estimation and guesswork out of your marksmanship game. Here is our list of the top 9 red dot sights for AR15:
9 Top Red Dot Sights for AR15
This scope type makes it less likely for you to hesitate because the red dot gives you at a glance an idea of where the bullet will land (especially if you’ve already adjusted for parallax, windage, and elevation as well as gotten magnification aid to make your target appear bigger to you visually). These are all the hallmarks of a quality red dot sight; these indicators should give you a good clue on which scope serves as the best red dot sight for ar15. If you want less eye strain when you go about locating and targeting your mark, then a red dot is your best bet. The idea behind this sight is that it allows shooters to aim quickly and accurately during a variety of conditions, from low lighting to too much glare.
The Top Ten Best Red Dot for AR15 Products Around
- Vortex SPARC Red Dot Scope: This scope has a lot to offer when it comes to helping marksmen make their mark in the real world, where targets don’t wait around before you shoot. In the shooting range, you’re given time to react until things go faster and faster in order to test your limits and timing. As an ar15 red dot sight, the Vortex SPARC is one of the best. It allows you to quickly target fast moving objects and game, particularly varmints, on the fly. IT truly is a handy guide when it comes to improving your quick-draw skills and reaction time,even when faced with high levels of pressure, foul weather, and rough terrain.
You can always count on Vortex SPARC Red Dot Scope to get you through. That’s because the scope is designed to allow marksmen to reach their fullest shooting potential. You’re given 2x magnification for long distance shooting at double the size of your intended target, plus the scope even has a six hour automatic shutdown feature to conserve energy. This red dot scope and optic could very well be the best red dot sight for ar-15, if only for its battery life that can go on for 4,200 hours on night vision mode for maximum brightness and 4,600 hours for minimum brightness as well as its 120 hours of daylight operation for maximum brightness and 3,400 hours for minimum brightness.
It’s not the longest battery life around (some scopes can last for more than a year or 10,000 hours before needing to replace their batteries), but it’s not too shabby either. With that said, you won’t have to worry about the parallax effect because the Vortex SPARC Red Dot Scope is also parallax free beyond 50 yards and a one-inch error to anything closer than 50 yards, which is more than fair. Another thing hunters love about the SPARC is its night vision, which enables you to set the brightness to the lowest possible setting in order for you to see in the dark while the lenses still maximize ambient and surrounding light to make you see in the dark better.
As per usual with modern optics, this red dot sight is sealed with O-rings and has nitrogen inside it to prevent dust, debris, and moisture to get into the scope. You’re assured of moisture-free operation that makes the scope fogproof, waterproof, and rainproof as well as shockproof. The Vortex SPARC Red Dot Scope is one of the fastest scopes to place on target due to its reticle type, plus your hit accuracy is increased because you can immediately get an accurate guide on where to shoot at a glance as opposed to just crosshairs or through other reticle types, like donut-shaped or chevron variants.
- Sightmark Ultra Shot Sight QD Digital Switch: As for the Sightmark Ultra Shot Sight QD Digital Switch, it’s yet another handy red dot reticle scope that’s well-worth the money. Its red dot places your gun exactly on the target (after everything from windage to elevation as well as bullet drop compensation has been taken into consideration). That’s what this ar 15 red dot brings to the table—proving the greatest increase in hit probability in close quarters as possible at a mere glance because that’s how precise a red dot is supposed to be. What’s more, it works best on fast moving targets from up close when compared to just crosshairs, donut targets, chevron targets, or horseshoe reticles.
These red dot sights will stick and focus on your target every time, plus you don’t have to close one of your eyes to stay concentrated on your quickly moving mark, allowing you to shoot with both eyes wide open. This enables you to not only get your game or varmint but it also ensures that you can pay attention to your surroundings. It also has a parallax free red dot, to boot. At any rate, the Sightmark Ultra Shot ensures that you can think on your feet in case new developments take place that could change the situation (like possible cover nearby for the animal to hide in or a sudden change in weather).
This is one of the best red dots you can count on when it comes to accurate shooting. In particular, it’s filled with all sorts of specs and features such as a limited lifetime warranty, water resistance, shockproofing, fog-free operation, tactical matte black color, infinite eye relief, 105 feet field of view at 100 yards, protected aluminum shield hood, weaver quick-detach mount, switch button on the side for immediate adjustment of variable brightness settings, and digital switch sight placement that maximizes your chances of shooting with precision any fast-moving targets at close range every time. This is an amazing sight through and through.
You’re ensured of a red dot and reticle that’s beautiful and crisp plus there’s no need to rezero as long as you use the same reticle provided by the Sightmark Ultra Shot Sight QD Digital Switch. With the default reticle, even if you bump it and switch it back on, as long as you’ve already zeroed in, there’s no need to rezero. This solid and beautiful sight is also quite shockproof to the point that it doesn’t only take recoil superbly it can stay zeroed even after being dropped on its head. It’s an eye-pleasing, cost-efficient red-dot scope that does exactly what it’s advertised to do. What more can you possibly ask for?
- Bushnell Trophy Red Dot TRS-25 3 MOA: As for the Bushnell Trophy, this red dot sight lives up to its high pedigree, award-winning name by its wealth of specs, such as its unlimited field of view, red dot LED light source that’s secured with adhesive from inside the scope, a tilted front lens that reflects the LED to create the red dot (with varying colors and lettering), and amber-bright high contrast lens coating. That’s what ar-15 red dot sights are supposed to bring to the table. They should be all about delivering quick, at a glance understanding of reticle placement that catches your eye and allows your brain to process the target acquisition without getting confused or befuddled.
The Bushnell Trophy Red Dot TRS-25 3 MOA does have imperfections, though; like the fact that by design, its LED red dot partially obstructs your field of view. If the intensity is too high for ambient light conditions, the dot may appear misshapen or blurry instead of helpful. Don’t use it indoors with artificial light. However, otherwise, it remains laser sharp and concentric every time. That’s why this ar 15 red dot sight is so amazing. Instead of an embedded red dot on the lens itself, you get an LED that almost serves like (but isn’t) a short-range laser sight of sorts. However, as mentioned, watch out for distortion in artificial ambient light conditions.
Regardless, you’re going to get peak accuracy and blazing target acquisition with the Bushnell Trophy Red Dot TRS-25 3 MOA, especially when it’s dim. An LED red dot is better during dim or low-light conditions because it’s a light that shines bright in the dark, giving it loads more clarity when compared to a non-LED red dot that looks as dim as its surroundings. Bushnell had the right idea when it comes to developing the TRS-25. The TRS-25 1×25 red dot has premium-grade features to boot like 1x scout riflescope magnification (or lack thereof) that’s best for hunting close and fast targets. The problem with too much magnification is that you have a smaller field of view.
You want to have a sight that has room to move and has Amber-Bright optics to boot that really light up an otherwise dim environment. This helps you distinguish between a brown critter over brown trees to boot, allowing you to shoot fast moving varmints without resorting to dangerous wide area buckshot and whatnot. The optics for the TRS-25 is also multicoated in order to maximize light transmission from dusk till dawn, particularly when dealing with dimness. It’s also constructed to be 100% shockproof, fogproof, and waterproof to boot with its housing that’s filled with dry nitrogen. It even has a long-lasting CR2032 battery to boot.
- Sightmark Ultra Dual Shot Pro Spec NV Sight QD (SM14003): The Sightmark Ultra Shot Sight QD Digital Switch has an impressive 105 feet at 100 yards field of view that really allows you a lot of space to estimate and shoot a fast-moving varmint from 100 yards. Aside from that, you can depend on the Ultra Shot when it comes to precision accuracy, its quick detach mounting system, and four-pattern reticles, thus making it a great candidate for best ar red dot. It also meets the requisite standards of modern riflescope quality, which is to say it’s shockproof, waterproof, and fogproof. Its durability is manifested in its aluminum body with metal protective shield that can withstand a lot of recoil.
That’s what the Sightmark Ultra Dual Shot Pro Spec NV Sight QD (SM14003) brings to the table. Even when dealing with heavy recoil calibers, it is able to keep on working without breaking apart because it’s made to be tough, rugged, and durable in every way possible. That’s one of many selling points for the Ultra Dual Shot. This red dot sight for ar15 has quite a lot to offer in the AR 15 red dot scope realm. For example, you have not one but two ways to dial in with pinpoint precision, thus allowing the Ultra Dual Shot Pro Spec Night Vision QD Reflex Sight to live up to its name as a pro riflescope.
It has dual plane glass and side-mounted red laser point for quick target acquisition. Even when dealing with close-quarter situations and a quick-moving object or game as well as tactical operations involving three-gun matches, you’re prepared with the Ultra Dual Shot because you can sight through the dual-plane glass with one of for illuminated reticle patterns. You can aim your gun through the red dot and through the reticle, plus the scope even has a night vision mode to boot that allows you to shoot in the cover of darkness. So the sight isn’t only durable and accurate, but also bright enough to shoot during low-lighting situations and during the nighttime.
You can shoot under the moonlight and starlight, if you have to, because the Sightmark Ultra Dual Shot Pro Spec NV Sight QD is all about allowing users to adapt to different circumstances every time. You can even mount the device in front of a monocular night vision device and create a riflescope setup that’s co-witnessed and all-seeing in the darkness. The double-pane glass system is also handy when it comes to parallax elimination and accuracy retention when fired at the lens’s periphery. This enables the gun owners to acclimate themselves in seconds in a way that truly tests their reflexes and their ability to think on their feet.
- Aimpoint PRO Patrol Rifle Optic: The Aimpoint PRO Patrol Rifle Optic has unlimited field of view. To get a better idea of what this means, you should purchase one and see for yourself. The field of view of Aimpoint is wonderfully wide, plus it’s always red in the sense that it only uses a single battery and it will last for 3 years with it turned all during all the time. With this red dot sight ar 15, that’s the bottom line. It goes where no other red dot sight riflescope goes. There’s no need to fumble with the off switch or worry about it running out of juice in the middle of your hunt prior to you using it.
No matter what the distance, the 2 MOA red dot will ensure precise target acquisition and engagement every time. Furthermore, maintenance and inventory tracking is quite easy to go about thanks to the battery change and service date reminder features included in the scope, which is one of the more unique things about this Aimpoint branded device. It’s one of the more dependable red dot sights for ar-15 indeed. Sure, it’s a bit on the heavy and large side at 7.8 ounces and its dimensions of 6.8 inches by 4.6 inches by 3.4 inches, but its sheer utility more than makes up for its bigness compared to more compact scopes in the market.
It’s a fair tradeoff. Actually, you won’t have to compromise much when you have an Aimpoint PRO. The Amazon.com verified purchase users agree that it’s the kind of product wherein you get more than you pay for. You’ll quickly switch from your previous red dot sight to this one because it has precise MOA adjustments and you won’t end up shooting too far from your bull’s eye once you take into account windage, elevation, bullet drop compensation, and so forth. It’s the perfect fit for most shooting styles for professional shooters and marksmen to boot. Also, did you know that this was designed for use by police departments?
You know that a riflescope is good if it’s good enough for use by the men in blue. Many police departments want a product that truly works, and it does. It even has some plug and play aspects to it in the sense that you can readily plug it into your mount and shoot whenever you’re ready. There’s even an Allen wrench, shorter screws, lens cover, a turret cap keeper, a removable spacer that indexes your sight at a desired height, and a 1/3N-Cell battery included in the package. It also has a huge knob, a riser that ensures you won’t get a sore cheek and neck when using this scope, and a torque limiting modular QRP2 mount.
- EOtech 512 A65 Tactical HOLOgraphic: The EOTech Tactical HOLOgraphic has 30 yards at 100 yards field of view, which is decent for a $400 red dot scope sight. It’s called the HOLOgraphic Weapon Sight mostly because it does have holographic properties to it that enable it to do close-in combat sighting speed that’s quite versatile (or can adapt to different weather conditions and gun applications). The red dot ar 15 also features support for both Weaver and Picatinny rails, which is awesome for gun owners who own guns with both types of rails on them. This is quite the tough scope as well, with its rugged aluminum hood assembly with a mounting bolt that’s knobbed and can be attached tool free.
However, due to its extra energy consumption, it requires 2 AA batteries. What’s more, the EOTech512.A65 Tactical HOLOgraphic AA Batteries Weapon Sight also increases target control, boosts accuracy, and improves target acquisition by having special specs included like 1x magnification, unlimited eye relief, 0.5 MOA or ½ inch at 100 yards, and +/- 40 MOA travel adjustment range. That’s why it’s one of the best red dot for ar 15. It even uses a laser light to illuminate a holographic red reticle on the target plane (hence the name of the sight) that ensures at a glance accuracy just short of getting a laser light targeting system that puts the red dot right onto your target itself.
Take this sight to the range and see what it’s truly capable of. The EOTech512.A65 Tactical HOLOgraphic AA Batteries Weapon Sight allows you to do amazing things, like shoot groups of targets at 50 yards or 150 feet away with the holes in the paper actually touching each other. That’s how accurate you can get from that range with the EOTech Tactical HOLOgraphic. That requires marksmanship accuracy, sure, but this EOTech scope can make it easier for you to get to the level of a pro marksman. This is consistent accuracy every time, all because you have a holographic red reticle light assisting you at a glance.
Of course, to truly prove your mettle when it comes to red dot scope action, you should go out of the shooting range and abandon those clay pigeons in order to hunt for some quick-moving varmints from there. Even then, you’ll be impressed by the capabilities of this scope in shooting the bull’s eye with pinpoint accuracy even when dealing with fast moving objects (since it has such a wide field of view to allow you to move and shoot your rifle along with whatever it is you’re targeting, from big game to small game). You’ll feel like your rounds are being guided by a magnetized target with how precise the EOTech512.A65 Tactical HOLOgraphic can make your shooting game.
- Burris 300234 Fastfire III with Picatinny Mount 3 MOA: There are no specific stats handy, but rest assured that the Burris 300234 Fastfire III with Picatinny Mount 3 MO has an extremely large field of view that should suit all your shooting needs. At any rate, this amazing sight comes complete with a surgically precise 3 MOA dot reticle, tool-less windage and elevation adjustment, battery access at the top of the red dot scope for ar-15, conveniently located power button as well with an automatic brightness setting as well as over three levels of brightness, a battery with 10,000 hours of power, and a warning indicator whenever your battery is nearing the end of its lifespan or is out of “juice”.
In terms of pros or benefits, the spectacular Burris Fastfire 3 lives up to its fast-fire name by enabling you to get quick target acquisition while enjoying its anti-glare multicoated lenses that work perfect in low lighting (like dusk and dawn), affordable and competitive pricing at $200-$300, user friendliness, versatility, quality components for an ar 15 red dot scope, quality optics, simple interface, durability, lightweight mobility, and convenient smallness. It’s certainly way smaller and lightweight than the Aimpoint PRO Patrol Rifle Optic. No wonder this sight has been proving itself as a Burris best seller of sorts since the Fastfire II. What’s more, this scope is the most versatile red dot scope in the market.
It’s not only mountable on an AR-15 rifle; it could also be mounted on various other firearms, including handguns and shotguns. Yes, even pistols can accept the FastFire and still improve upon their shooting accuracy from close range with it. You won’t have to worry about finding your target, sight alignment, and eye dominance when you have the Burris 300234 Fastfire III on hand. It couldn’t be simpler—just put the red dot on your target as you see through the lens and pull the trigger. Follow it as it skitters along and get the same result. Its stunning accuracy will leave you breathless and do a lot more to your target, especially if it’s your prey.
It does have some flaws, like the fact that if there’s something on your battery case, it will cause the battery to not snap into place properly, thus resulting in the item not working correctly. As such, always make sure that there are no foreign objects in between the battery and the place where it’s supposed to go that could cause it to be dislodged. Furthermore, the brightness levels feature of the Burris Fastfire 3 solves the problem with ambient artificial light that Vortex SPARC has. You can adjust the brightness so that the red dot could appear without being distorted by current lighting conditions in your surroundings.
- Vortex® StrikeFire Red Dot Rifle Scope: The Vortex® StrikeFire Red Dot Rifle Scope (or Riflescope) offers an unlimited field of view, just like Bushnell Trophy Red Dot TRS-25 3 MOA and Aimpoint PRO Patrol Rifle Optic. What’s more, it has a green or red light option, which means you can switch lights freely and even adjust dot intensity, which is what the best ar 15 sights should do. The sight’s dot has a 4 MOA diameter and an unlimited eye relief so that your target acquisition is as quick as possible. You can even acclimate itself to whatever viewing conditions or surroundings you’re in, plus it’s assured to always have parallax-free operation past 50 yards.
If you’re in the green jungle, switch to the red dot. If it’s dusk and the sky and everything else has a shade of red or orange to it, then switch to the green light. It’s that simple. Its magnification is 2x, which means you can double the size of whatever is in front of you to better aim and accurately shoot your gun. These ar 15 sights are all about pinpoint accuracy. Furthermore, this Vortex® StrikeFire Red Dot Riflescope even offers requisite waterproof and fogproof features found in all modern-day scopes nowadays through nitrogen purging so that you can reliably work with the scope in harsh weather. It won’t fog up from the inside and it won’t get any water inside it.
So it’s tough because it’s shockproof, versatile because it’s waterproof and fogproof, and accurate because of its red dot with changeable colors on the reticle or crosshairs. The thing that makes the Vortex Strikefire such a worthwhile purchase is because it will make your AR “happy” with how useful it is. Because of its smallness, it’s the perfect AR fit that won’t have it seem like you’re lugging around a brick on top of it. Furthermore, once you zero in, it holds that zero quite firmly. It’s a red dot and a green dot scope that are visible without distortion even at low intensity settings, plus you can make them more visible by switching from one level of brightness to another.
Even though it’s a red dot scope, it’s the green dot that might be faster to spot with your eyes than the red one, but that depends from person to person or even from marksman to marksman. This is a highly recommended dot sight scope for all those reasons and more. Just mount the Vortex® StrikeFire Red Dot Riflescope and align its dot to your iron sights’ zero line and you’re good to go. You’re only about an inch off the dead center, which can be further adjusted to pinpoint precision. You’re like a laser with how precise this scope is.
- UTG New Gen 4-Inch Red/Green Dot Sight with Integral Picatinny Mounting Deck – (SCP-RD40RGW-A): Here’s another awesome red dot, green dot scope with a cost-effective price. The UTG New Gen 4-Inch Red/Green Dot Sight comes complete with optimal brightness settings that allow you to shoot at any sort of condition or environment. These ar sights also come complete with the option to switch from red to green sight dots, just like with the Vortex StrikeFire Red Dot Rifle Scope. This gives you more options and more control over the visibility of the reticle and the dot every time. If you’re facing red or brown backgrounds, shift to green. Go with red if you’re surrounded with vegetation.
You also have a handy Integral Picatinny Mounting Deck available so that you can mount your AR-15 with easy. It’s also perfect for certain other firearms and handguns because of its unlimited eye relief. Usually, you have your gun aimed at arm’s length, which means certain scopes have too little eye relief to work. There are also ar15 sights that have issues being placed on rifles that have the scope mounted in the middle of it rather than nearer the barrel. With the unlimited eye relief of the UTG New Gen 4-Inch Red/Green Dot Sight, the issue is immediately solved. The scope also comes with flip-open lens caps and double locking nuts to boot.
This ensures that your UTG New Gen 4-Inch Red/Green Dot Sight with Integral Picatinny Mounting Deck is securely placed onto your rifle and its lens are protected with a cap that snaps open and close. However, the main selling point of the UTG New Gen 4-Inch Red/Green Dot Sight, admittedly, is its great field of view. This is what separates the scope from many other scopes of its kind. Its low cost doesn’t indicate that you’re compromising with this scope at all; it’s more like a huge bargain of sorts that’s bordering on being a steal than you settling for something less than what the abovementioned scopes have to bring to the table.
This Leapers scope has a red/green dot is quite crisp and clear, and so are the lenses within the scope. Dot quality cannot be questioned. The brightness settings allow you to have some glare control if it’s bright out or light transmission maximization if it’s already dim and you’re having trouble locating your target in the darkness or in the low-lighting conditions before you. What’s more, it doesn’t only mount well on your AR-15 rifle, but also on the likes of firearms like WASR 10. It also zeroes in excellently so that you won’t have to re-zero it every time you use it. Once is enough.
- Generic Red and Green Dot Sight Tactical Reflex (with 3 Different Reticles): This might be the cheapest or most inexpensive sight you’ll get because it’s not a holographic sight, so there’s less investment to be made due to the lack of hologram technology. Regardless, the “Generic” (that’s the name of the company) Dot Sight Tactical Reflex is worthwhile ar15 optics for quite a lot of reasons. It’s as “cheap” as a generic brand tactical reflex sight, but then again, some marksmen and hunters might find the lack of actual holographic capabilities a bit of a downgrade. Then again, this is a perfectly serviceable dot sight regardless that meets military-grade standards.
To wit, the Generic Red and Green Dot Sight Tactical Reflex comes complete with high quality aircraft-grade aluminum alloy construction as well as shockproof, fogproof, and waterproof features that have become the current standard of a good quality modern scope nowadays since the end of World War II (thanks to manufacturer Leupold).This red/green dot sight was able to make it in this top ten because aside from the lack of holographic technology, it contains all the quality specs found in other scopes in this list, like its multicoated lens, its unlimited eye relief, and its Weaver-Picatinny rail for easy and effective mounting.
The matte black finish is Type III anodized as well. As for windage and elevation adjustments, they’re present and they ensure surgical, pinpoint precision along with the Generic Red and Green Dot Sight Tactical Reflex scope’s wide and sharp field of view. This Academy Sports offering mounts on all AR-15 firearms as well as the WASR10 AK-47(7.62×39). One thing that many gun owners and Amazon.com reviewers were impressed by the scope was its ability to hold zero well. It’s also quite the rugged scope that doesn’t break easy even when undergoing intense and regular gun recoil. It’s not something that cracks under pressure.
The Generic Red and Green Dot Sight Tactical Reflex is a “generic” scope that’s every bit as good as the brand scopes from above. It has crisp reticles, it doesn’t cost much compared to some high-end red dot scopes above, it has an alternate green light mode, and it does many of the things that all the other scopes are capable of doing, like maximum light transmission through its multicoated lenses and variable brightness settings. It’s a worthwhile scope that has earned its place in this article. It’s only real flaw, if it could be called as such, is it being mislabeled as a holographic sight on Amazon.com when it clearly isn’t; it most obviously is a reflex sight instead. That’s about it.
The main things you should be on the lookout for when deciding on which red dot rifle scope you should end up with aside from price versus value includes fast target acquisition, wider field of view, unlimited or huge eye relief, and low light usage. Those are the main benefits that all red dot scopes have over their non-dot counterparts. No other scope can catch speedy targets at a moment’s notice as fast and as accurately as red dots (which can sometimes be green dots). This at-a-glance convenience is what hunters crave for from their scopes.
In regards to the best scopes in this list, they include the Vortex SPARC Red Dot Scope that has a high recoil caliber rating and adjustable dot intensity, the Sightmark Ultra Dual Shot Pro Spec NV Sight QD that has a quick detach mounting system and its aluminum body construction that can withstand heavy recoil calibers, the Aimpoint PRO Patrol Rifle Optic that’s always red and always on plus a 2 MOA red dot, the Eotech512.A65 Tactical Holographic AA Batteries Weapon Sight that has a holographic sight, and the Burris 300234 Fastfire III with Picatinny Mount 3 MOA Sight that has long battery life and three adjustable brightness levels.